- source: Family History Library Catalog
St John Horsleydown was one of the ancient parishes of the Borough of Southwark in the county of Surrey. It lies on the south bank of the River Thames, immediately opposite the City of London, close to Tower Bridge. In 1900 the parish of St John Horsleydown was united with two other Southwark parishes (St Olave and St Thomas) and the neighbouring authorities of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe to form the Metropolitan Borough of Bermondsey in the county of London. In 1965 Bermondsey Metropolitan Borough was absorbed into the larger London Borough of Southwark within Greater London.