General Cemetery Research in Manitoba
This section is intended to make researchers aware of some of the resources available to them in their genealogical research. Researchers should not rely only upon on-line resources, but due to their easy accessibility this section may appear to focus on or "favour" them.
Internet Accessible Resources
- This on-going project has summary pages for many Manitoba Cemeteries, including information on the location and administration of the cemetery, links to other relevant external web pages and noting some resources not accessible on the Internet. In general, if the cemetery page includes transcriptions there will be a link in the Resources section above. If not, use the link in this section to search for the cemetery of interest.
- The Canadian Gravemarker Gallery is a volunteer supported website maintained by Murray Pletsch. It features grave marker photos and provides a limited surname search capability based upon up to 8 characters in the file name of each photo.
- Canadian Gravemarker Gallery home page
- Please report broken links using the link to the talk page above.
- Our Roots is a library, archive, museum and school all in one. Check the collection to find Canadian local histories in French and English.
Traditional (Non-Internet) Resources
As mentioned in the introduction above, do not restrict your research to internet searches alone. Consult Cemetery registers if they exist. Visit cemetery administration offices, local libraries, branches of the Manitoba Genealogical Society, Manitoba Archives and other agencies to locate relevant documents.
Help make WeRelate better
Share your successes in research by updating the Cemetery Place page with items such as the following:
- links to new transcriptions not included in the Resources section above
- the types and location of traditional materials you have found