St. Ippolyts (or St. Ippollitts or Ippolitts) is a small village and civil parish on the southern edge of Hitchin in Hertfordshire, England. The parish includes the hamlets of Gosmore and Little Almshoe. It has a population of approximately 2,000.
St Ippolyts is located in between the A602 road (Stevenage Road) and the B656 road (Codicote Road), two kilometres south-east of Hitchin, Hertfordshire. It lies approximately 80 metres above sea level in a gap in the Chiltern Hills.
The name of St Ippolyts, although spelled in a variety of ways, is derived from St Hippolytus to whom the village church was dedicated. According to Daphne Rance in her book on the parish St. Ippolyts: a country parish in the nineteenth century (1987) at various times also known as Epolites, Pallets, Nipples or St Ibbs. In the same vein, the 1881 census mentions the following 28 place names, all of which are believed to refer to it: Iplits, Ipolits, Ipollitts, Ipollyts, Ipolytes, Ipolyts, Ippatyts, Ipplits, Ipployts, Ipplyts, Ippolett, Ippoletts, Ippolits, Ippolitss, Ippolits, Ippolitss, Ippolitts, Ippollit, Ippollits, Ippollitts, Ippollyts, Ippollytts, Ippololits, Ippolts, Ippolytis, Ippolyts, Ippolytts, Ippoplitts. (The contributor has not attempted to redirect all these possibilities.)