|Type||Civil parish, Village|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||Trigg Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Bodmin Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district from 1894-1934|
|Wadebridge Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district from 1934-1968|
|Wadebridge and Padstow Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district from 1968-1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
St Minver (Cornish: Sen Menvra) is the name of an ecclesiastical parish, a civil parish and a village in north Cornwall, England.
The civil parish of St Minver is in Bodmin Registration District and is nominally divided into St Minver Highlands (to the north and east) and St Minver Lowlands (to the west).
The combined parish is bounded on the south and west by the estuary of the River Camel, on the north by the Atlantic coast, and on the east by the parishes of St. Endellion and St. Kew. The population of the parish in the 2001 census was 2,474 (St Minver Highlands: 1025; St Minver Lowlands: 1449).
The principal villages in the combined parish are the churchtown of St Minver, Rock, Trebetherick and Polzeath. Other settlements include Tredrizzick, Penmean, Splatt, Porthilly, Pityme and Trevanger.
St Minver village is centred on a small square at the crossroads of two unclassified roads. It is situated 3 miles (5 kilometres) north of Wadebridge a few hundred yards west of the B3314 Wadebridge to Delabole road.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article St Minver.
Nineteenth Century Description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of St. Minver from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MINVER (ST.), a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall; on the coast, 3½ miles NW by N of Wadebridge, and 12½ N W of Bodmin-Road [railway] station. It is cut into two divisions, Highlands and Lowlands. Post town, Wadebridge, Cornwall. Acres: 8,683; of which 1,105 are water. Real property: £8,278.
- "Population of the [Highlands Division]: in 1851, 757; in 1861: 626. Houses: 117. The decrease of pop. arose from the discontinuance of mining operations, and from emigration.
- "Population of the [Lowlands Division]: in 1851, 468; in 1861: 485. Houses, 116.
- "The manor was known, at Domesday, as Rosminver; and belonged to Bodmin priory. St. Minver House, Trevelvir, and Trewornon are chief residences. A creek comes up the SE boundary, and has a quay for the shipment of corn. A copper mine was formerly worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value and patron, not reported. The church stands in the [Highlands Division]; and has a tower, with a lofty spire. Two chapels of ease, called St. Michael's and St. Enodoc's, are in the [Lowlands Division]. There are chapels for Quakers and Wesleyans, and charities, £22."
The quotation has been re-paragraphed for easier reading.