- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of St. John from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "JOHN (ST.), a village and a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The village stands at the head of a branch of the Hamoaze, called St. John's lake, opposite Devonport town and r. station, and 5½ miles SE by E of St. Germans. The parish extends to the English Channel; and comprises 698 acres of land, and 125 of water. Post town, Devonport. Real property: £1,094. Population in 1851: 155; in 1861: 213. Houses: 38. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of labourers at the erection of forts. The manor formerly belonged to the Champernowns, and belongs now to Deeble Boger, Esq. Tregenhawke belonged to the Trevilles, and others; and passed to Lord Graves. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £179. Patron: W. H. Pole Carew, Esq. The church measures 56 feet by 18: and was restored in 1866."