The ancient parish included the township of Belmont.
St. Giles was an ancient parish and became a civil parish in 1866. It was part of Chester Ward until 1829 when Durham Ward was formed. The civil parish was absorbed into the City of Durham civil parish and municipal borough in 1916. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time). Durham St. Giles remains an ecclesiastical parish.