Place:Landrake with St. Erney, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameLandrake with St. Erney
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates50.422°N 4.29°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoEast Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Germans Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Landrake with St. Erney (Cornish: Lannergh a'byth Sen Erney) is a civil parish in Cornwall, England. From 1894 until 1974 it was part of St. Germans Rural District.

The village of Landrake (50.422°N 4.290°W) is on the A38 road between Saltash and Liskeard. At St. Erney (a hamlet one mile south of Landrake) is St Erney parish church, dedicated to St Terninus.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Landrake (with St. Erney) from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LANDRAKE, a village and a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Lynher, 3½ miles NE of St. Germans [railway] station; and has a post-office under St. Germans, and fairs on the first Wednesday of Feb., St. Peter's day, 29 June, and the first Wednesday of Sept. The parish is a united one, and bears the name of Landrake-with-St. Erney. Acres: 3,745, of which 205 are water. Real property: £5,106. Population of Landrake proper: 714; of St. Erney: 79. Houses: 164 and 13.
"The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The living is a double vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value: £300. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The church is ancient but good; has a lofty turretted tower; and contains a monument to the Courtney family. There is a chapel of ease at St. Erney, an ancient building with low square tower. There are also chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £80 a-year, and five alms-houses for women."

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Landrake with St. Erney. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.