|Alt names||Southill||source: unknown|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||East Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Liskeard Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part|
|Callington, Cornwall, England||neighbouring parish which absorbed a section in 1934|
|St. Germans Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district of which it was a part 1934-1974|
|Liskeard Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-2007|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
South Hill (Cornish: Bre Dheghow) is a civil parish and village in east Cornwall, England.
The parish church was consecrated in 1333 and apart from the upper stage of the tower and the south aisle is entirely of this date (the additions are 15th century). The font is Norman and a fine example of the Bodmin type (carved with four faces, trees and curious creatures); in the churchyard is an inscribed stone of the 6th or 7th century. The tower is topped by figures of the Twelve Apostles. St Sampson's well is supposed to have been either near the church in the grounds of the former rectory, or in a nearby valley in a stream leading to the river Lynher.
South Hill was part of the East Hundred of Cornwall. Between 1894 and 1934 it was in Liskeard Rural District and between 1934 and 1974 in the St. Germans Rural District. The village and former urban district of Callington was adjacent to South Hill and the boundary line has changed more than once.
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | East Hundred, Cornwall, England | Liskeard Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Germans Rural, Cornwall, England | Callington, Cornwall, England | South Hill, Cornwall, England | Liskeard Registration District, Cornwall, England