|Alt names||Calwetona||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 59|
|Calwetone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 59|
|Kellington||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cornwall, England|
|See also||East Hundred, Cornwall, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Liskeard Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1901|
|St. Germans Rural, Cornwall, England||rural district in which it was located 1934-1974|
|Liskeard Registration District, Cornwall, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-2007|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Callington (Cornish: Kelliwik) is a civil parish and town in southeast Cornwall, England about 7 miles (11 km) north of Saltash and 9 miles (14 km) south of Launceston.
In 1901 Callington was made an urban district, having been in Liskeard Rural District since 1894, but in 1934 it was reduced to being a civil parish within St. Germans Rural District. Also in 1934 it absorbed a portion of the neighbouring parish of South Hill.
Callington parish had a population of 4,783 in 2001, according to the 2001 census. The hamlets of Bowling Green, Frogwell, Kelly Bray and Newbridge are in the parish.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.
The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Cornwall, England | East Hundred, Cornwall, England | Liskeard Rural, Cornwall, England | St. Germans Rural, Cornwall, England | Callington, Cornwall, England | Liskeard Registration District, Cornwall, England