The township was created on 1 January 1998, by amalgamating the townships of Charlottenburgh and Lancaster with the independent village of Lancaster.
The map of Glengarry County circa 1951 from Ontario Archives locates the communities and physical features of the county. (Click at the bottom of the page to see the map enlarged.)
A sketchmap from Ontario GenWeb gives a more visible outline of the townships.
To avoid confusion, the modern-day administrative areas formed from historical townships and previously incorporated towns and villages are described here as municipalities.
Most family history material will be found under the names of the original townships.