Place:Shepherdswell with Coldred, Kent, England

Watchers
NameShepherdswell with Coldred
Alt namesColdred
Shepherdswell
Sibertswoldsource: Wikipedia
Sibbertswoldsource: ]A Vision of Britain through Time
Shebbertswouldsource: A Vision of Britain through Time
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.175°N 1.245°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoDover Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Dover (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

Shepherdswell with Coldred was a civil parish formed in 1963 from the two adjacent villages of Shepherdswell (also known as Sibertswold) and Coldred. The two villages have been redirected here.

Between Wikipedia and A Vision of Britain through Time there are four different spellings for Shepherdswell, but neither source provides any explanation. Sibertswold appears to have been the name of the parish until 1963 or shortly before.

Coldred

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Coldred from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"COLDRED, a parish in Dover district, Kent; near the Chatham and Dover railway, 1 mile ESE of Shepherdswell [railway] station, and 5 NNW of Dover. Post town, Dover. Acres: 1,532. Real property: £2,228. Population: 134. Houses: 28. Waldershare Park, the seat of the Earl of Guildford, is in the vicinity of the church. Ceolred, king of Mercia, is said to have fought a battle here, in 715, with Ina. A Roman entrenchment, enclosing about 2 acres of land, encircles the church; and was found, at the cutting of a road through it, to have a well about 300 feet deep. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Sibbertswold, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church has recently been repaired, but beyond the bell turret has no features of architectural interest."

Shepherdswell

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Shepherdswell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"SIBBERTSWOLD, Shebbertswould, or Shepherdswell, a parish, with a village, in Dover district, Kent; on the London, Chatham, and Dover railway, 6 miles NW by N of Dover. It has a [railway] station with telegraph, and a post-office under Dover, both of the name of Shepherdswell. Acres: 1,836. Real property: £2,385. Population: 411. Houses: 76. The property is divided among a few. The railway here traverses a tunnel 1½ mile long. There are Roman entrenchments in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, united with Coldred, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £255. Patron: the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is a pleasing structure; and there is a national school."

Research Tips