Place:Shenandoah Junction, Jefferson, West Virginia, United States

Watchers


NameShenandoah Junction
TypeCommunity
Coordinates39.35°N 77.833°W
Located inJefferson, West Virginia, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Shenandoah Junction is an unincorporated census-designated place in Jefferson County in the U.S. state of West Virginia's Eastern Panhandle. As of the 2010 census, Shenandoah Junction had a population of 703. It is located between Kearneysville and Charles Town off WV 9. Shenandoah Junction is home to Jefferson High School and West Virginia's oldest surviving wood frame structure, the Peter Burr House, built around 1751. The land where Shenandoah Junction was built was part of the granted by Lord Fairfax to Lewis Neil. The town was originally called Neil's, but the name was changed to Shenandoah Junction in 1881. The town owes much of its early growth to the coming of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in the 1830s, and the name refers to the junction of the B&O and Norfolk and Western Railway at the center of the community.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Shenandoah Junction, West Virginia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.