The villages of Send and Ripley in Surrey, England were combined in one parish from the time of the Domesday Book until 1933. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time). Send was always the dominant village, but Ripley's church shows construction of circa 1160 and supporting feet of fines and ecclesiastical records mention the village at the time. Send and Ripley (or Send with Ripley) was an ancient ecclesiastical parish and a civil one from 1866 until 1933. The two villages continued to be one parish ecclesiastically until 1978.
Since 1974 Send has been a village and civil parish in the Guildford District or Borough in Surrey. Prior to that, both as Send and Ripley and indepently as Send, it had been part of the Guildford Rural District and the Woking Hundred.
Send is buffered by Metropolitan Green Belt from other villages and towns except for the Grove Heath neighbourhood of Ripley. A rural band of the village adjoins the River Wey including Cartbridge and Send Marsh — this land has been drained and the river tamed by sluices, the Broadmead Cut and the Wey Navigation, adjoining. A further hamlet in the parish is Burntcommon.
Brickfields were developed in the south of Send by the 1870s, running until at least 1911.
Ripley has existed since Norman times. The earliest official record such as a Patent Roll, revealing its manor's existence is in 1279. Growth in ambition of the local nobility coupled with a large enough population led to the first place of worship being built at Ripley, to become a chapelry (village with a chapel so financially dependent on another village), also to St Mary the Virgin, in approximately the year 1160.
NOTE: The two Wikipedia articles supply different facts on two points: In the Send article it is reported that the parishes were separated in 1878; in the Ripley article they separated in 1938 (and A Vision of Britain through Time states 1933). Secondly, the Send article infers that both the church at Send and the chapelry at Ripley were dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, while the Ripley article states that the chapel there was dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene. (GENUKI confirms the Ripley description.)
Lieutenant-General William Evelyn (1723-1783), Colonel of the 29th Foot in the British Army and Member of Parliament for Helston (1767–74) and a son of Sir John Evelyn of Wotton, established his home at Send Grove, Church Lane, and he laid out the grounds.
On his death, in 1783, it was bought by Admiral Sir Francis William Drake, Governor of Newfoundland (1750–1752), second in command to Rodney in his victory of 1782 over De Grasse in the Battle of the Saintes (American War of Independence). As Rear-Admiral, Francis William Drake flew his flag on HMS Victory (Nelson's flagship) from 26 September 1780 to 29 December 1780.
Surrey Research Tips
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre. The centre has a website with a number of useful indexes--titheholders in various parishes, deaths at the county gaol, etc.)
The website GENUKI provides a very comprehensive list of reference sources for the County of Surrey. It includes: