Sayre is the largest borough in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, northwest of Scranton. In the past, various iron products were made there. In 1900, 5,243 people lived there; in 1910, 6,426 people lived there, and in 1940, 7,569 persons made their homes in Sayre. The population was 5,587 at the 2010 census. Children residing in the borough are assigned to attend the Sayre Area School District.
Sayre is home to the Robert Packer Hospital and Guthrie Clinic. Sayre is also in a small area called 'The Valley,' a group of four contiguous communities in New York and Pennsylvania: Waverly, NY; South Waverly, PA; Sayre, PA; Athens, PA, and smaller surrounding communities with a combined population near 35,000 of the Greater Valley.
In May 1870, a Waverly banker named Howard Elmer, along with Charles Anthony and James Fritcher, bought the Pine Plains area between Waverly and Athens. Elmer convinced Asa Packer to locate a new railroad repair facility on the Pine Plains for the expanding Lehigh Valley Railroad, which was making a push north to connect to the Erie railroad at Waverly, NY. Robert Heysham Sayre, President of the Pennsylvania and New York Railroad, helped cement the deal. The town was named in his honor. Sayre was incorporated on January 27, 1891.
In 1904 when the locomotive shops were built at Sayre, the main shop building was believed to be the largest structure in the world under one roof, it held that title for only a brief time however. The railroad operated from 1870 until 1976, but maintenance facilities were shifted away before that. With the decline of industry, population has declined since 1940.