The Town of Santa Clara is in the southwest part of the county and is southwest of the Village of Malone. The town is within the Adirondack Park. It includes the 58 ponds of the Saint Regis Canoe Area, presently the only Canoe Wilderness Area in the park, as well as most of Upper Saranac Lake.
The Town of Santa Clara was formed from part of the Town of Brandon in 1888. An addition from Brandon was added to Santa Clara in 1896.
William Rockefeller began buying property in the town around 1896 in order of establish an estate, used by members of his family during the summer.