- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Salem is a city in Harrison County, West Virginia, United States. The population was 1,586 at the 2010 census. It is located at the junction of U.S. Route 50 and West Virginia Route 23; the North Bend Rail Trail passes through the city. Salem International University is located in Salem.
The following question and response are the source for the dual location of Salem in both Harrison and Doddridge Counties.
- Comment: Are there two Salems; one in Doddridge and one in Harrison, OR did the county lines move at some time?? I've looked everywhere for a map of Salem in Doddridge and cannot find it, but my genie buddy says there are two Salems; one in each county.
- Answer from Doddridge County GenWeb researcher: There is only one Salem, West Virginia and it extends into both counties.