Salcombe is a town in the South Hams district of Devon, England. The town is built mostly on the steep west side of the Kingsbridge Estuary, close to its mouth. The town's extensive waterfront and the naturally sheltered harbour formed by the estuary gave rise to its success as a boat-, ship- building and sailing port. In modern times, tourism, especially in the form of pleasure sailing and yachting, has been important to its economic well-being. There is also a crabbing industry.
Salcombe was part of the ancient division of Devon known as the Stanborough Hundred. During the 19th century it was ecclesiastically a chapelry in Malborough parish. In 1894 it was created as an urban district from part of Malborough civil parish and its size was increased by absorbing a part of West Alvington in the same year.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Salcombe.