Place:St. Blazey, Cornwall, England

Watchers
NameSt. Blazey
Alt namesSt. Blazeysource: Getty Vocabulary Program
TypeTown, Former parish
Coordinates50.367°N 4.717°W
Located inCornwall, England
See alsoPowder Hundred, Cornwall, Englandhundred in which it was located
St. Austell Rural, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1934
St. Austell, Cornwall, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1934-1974
St. Austell Registration District, Cornwall, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

St. Blazey (Cornish: Lanndreth) is a small town and former civil parish in Cornwall, England. Since 1974 the civil parish and the town council has been called St. Blaise. The hamlet of Biscovey and the settlements of St. Blazey Gate, Bodelva and West Par lie within the parish boundaries.

Once an important engineering centre for the local mine and railway industries, the parish is now dominated by the Eden Project. St Blazey is situated 3 miles (4.8 km) east of St. Austell, 1 mile (1.6 km) west of Tywardreath and 1 mile (1.6 km) north of Par.

The town takes is name from the Armenian Saint Blaise and holds an annual procession and service on his feast day, 3 February.

The town was once dominated by the local mining industries and their associated transport infrastructure. Historically copper and tin were mined in and around the parish, whilst more recently china clay has been the principal commodity mined. The port of Par Harbour, which lies within the parish, was developed to ease the transport of these minerals, and initially connected to the mines by the Par Canal. Whilst the port of Par is within the parish, the village of Par is actually just across the River Par, and hence lies in the civil parish of Tywardreath.

St. Blazey was part of the St. Austell Rural District from 1894 until 1934 and became part of the St. Austell Urban District from 1934 until 1974.

Research Tips

One of the many maps available on A Vision of Britain through Time is one from the Ordnance Survey Series of 1900 illustrating the parish boundaries of Cornwall at the turn of the 20th century. This map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets.

The following websites have pages explaining their provisions in WeRelate's Repository Section. Some provide free online databases.

  • GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Cornwall as well as providing 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
  • FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time has
  1. organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
  2. excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
  3. reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
  • More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at St Blazey. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.