- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Roel from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "ROWELL, or Roel, an extra-parochial tract in Winchcomb [registration] district, Gloucester; 3½ miles S E of Winchcomb. Acres: 1,640. Real property: £943. Population: 50. Houses: 9."
Between 1894 and 1935 Roel was part of the Winchcombe Rural District. In 1935 the parish was abolished and the area transferred to the neighbouring parish of Hawling.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Kiftsgate (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Winchcombe Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Cheltenham Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Roel, Gloucestershire, England | Hawling, Gloucestershire, England