Ripley has existed as a village in Surrey, England since Norman times – the chancel of the church of St. Mary Magdalen shows construction of circa 1160 there and supporting feet of fines and ecclesiastical records mention the village at the time. Ripley’s sister village of Send to the south-west was the governing parish over the village for almost a thousand years until 1978 when they became two separate ecclesiastical parishes, having become separate civil parishes in 1938.
Lying on the main road from London to Portsmouth (from the 1930s referred to as the A3), Ripley was the post town for the whole area (including Woking) from 1813 to 1865. With the coming of the railway to what was then Woking Common in 1838, Ripley’s importance diminished and Woking became its post town in 1865. As motor traffic increased during the 1960s and 70s, the Portsmouth Road at Ripley became a notorious bottleneck, relieved by the building of the Ripley bypass in 1976. The A3 was renamed the B2215, and what has always been a major trunk road was expanded into six lanes north of Guildford, allowing Send and Ripley.
The distance is to the M25 motorway. It is centred 10km (6.2 miles) southeast of Woking, northeast of Guildford and southwest of London. Neighbouring villages Send and Send Marsh to the South-West and Ockham to the East have fewer shopping facilities.