Randolph County is a county of the U.S. state of Alabama. As of the 2010 census, the population was 22,913. Its county seat is Wedowee. Its name is in honor of John Randolph, a member of the United States Senate from Virginia. Randolph County was a prohibition or dry county until 2012 when the citizens of Randolph County voted to repeal prohibition.
Randolph County was established by the Alabama Legislature on December 18, 1832, and named in honor of John Randolph, a well known Virginia congressman. Randolph County was one of several counties created out of the last Creek cession formulated by the Treaty of Cusseta, on March 24, 1832. It lies within the Piedmont region, which extends from Alabama to Pennsylvania.
The first settlers noted that the county was ideally located between three cities of Atlanta, Birmingham and Montgomery and that the county had an abundance of the "purest and coldest freestone water in the world." The area was also noted for its gentle rolling hills. The first county seat for Randolph County was established in 1833 at Hedgeman Triplett's Ferry on the west bank of the Big Tallapoosa River, about west of Wedowee. In 1835 (2 years later), the county seat was moved by the commissioners to nearby Wedowee. Wedowee lies in the center of Randolph County, on a fork of the Little Tallapoosa River. Wedowee was named after a tribal chief "Wah-wah-nee" (or "Wah-dow-wee") whose village stood near the present site of the town.