NOTE: The parish has been given its full name to differentiate it from the neighbouring parish of Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene.
Pulham-St. Mary-the-Virgin is a village in Norfolk, approximately 7 miles (11 km) east of Diss and 18 miles (29 km) south of Norwich. It covers an area of 12.26 km2 (4.73 sq mi) and had a population of 866 in 365 households as of the 2001 UK census, the population increasing to 892 at the 2011 UK census. The church of St. Mary the Virgin, is believed to date from around 1258.
It is a small village and part of "The Pulhams" which also includes Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene, commonly known as Pulham Market.
The name Pulham is thought to mean the farmhouse or enclosure by the pools or streams. The earliest recorded spelling is Polleham. The Romans may have had a settlement in Pulham St. Mary as pieces of Roman tile, coin and oyster shells have been found in the area.
The village was well known in medieval times as a centre for hat-making, and the ancient Guild of St James the Lesser established the Guild Chapel, now in the centre of the village, as part of Pennoyer's school.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Pulham St Mary.