Place:Perranarworthal, Cornwall, England

Watchers


NamePerranarworthal
Alt namesSt Piransource: Wikipedia
TypeUnknown
Located inCornwall, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Perranarworthal is a civil parish and village in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. The village is about four miles (6.5 km) northwest of Falmouth and five miles (8 km) southwest of Truro.

Perran Wharf is the area of the parish beside the River Kennall (a tributary of Restronguet Creek) where there were wharves and a quay. This is currently being developed into Perran Foundry where there will be new homes and working space settled amidst the history of the site. The other major settlement in the parish is Perranwell.

Perranarworthal parish is bordered on the north by Kea parish, on the east by Restronguet Creek and Mylor parish, on the south by St Gluvias and Stithians parishes and on the west by Gwennap parish.

The name derives from the Manor of Arworthal which has had a number of spellings in the past including Hareworthal (1187), Arwoethel and Arwythel. By the 18th century two names appear on maps “Perran Arworthal” meaning St Piran’s by the creek or estuary.

William Penaluna described the settlement in 1838.

The original 15th century Anglican church of Saint Piran was replaced by a building designed by James Piers St Aubyn in 1884. However, the original granite-built tower remains from the 15th-century church. Pevsner described the church as "indifferent".

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Perranarworthal. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.