Pelton is a village and electoral ward in County Durham, England. The population of the village and ward taken at the 2011 census was 8,250. It is located to the northwest of Chester le Street. The village of West Pelton is located some distance to the west; separated from it by a few villages and closer to Stanley than to central Chester-le-Street.
Pelton was originally a township in the ancient parish of Chester le Street, Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Chester le Street Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Chester le Street non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.