Owston Ferry is a village and civil parish in North Lincolnshire, England. It is situated on the west bank of the River Trent, and 9 miles (14 km) north from Gainsborough. It has a total resident population of 1,128.
Sometimes referred to in short as Owston or Ferry, the village, which forms part of the Isle of Axholme, is bounded to the west by the A161 road and the parish of Haxey. The River Trent is directly to the east. To the north, beyond a number of hamlets and villages, lies the River Humber. West Butterwick was until 1866 a chapelry in the northern part of the parish of Owston.
Until 1936 the parish of Owston Ferry was located in Gainsborough Rural District. In that year Owston Ferry and four other parishes which were geographically within the Isle of Axholme were transferred to the Rural District of the same name. In the changes that occurred following the Local Government Act of 1972, the Isle of Axholme became part of the short-lived county of Humberside, followed by the unitary authority of North Lincolnshire in 1996. Gainsborough Rural District was declared part of the West Lindsey District in 1974.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Owston Ferry.
Lincolnshire is very low-lying and land had to be drained for agriculture to be successful. The larger drainage channels, many of which are parallel to each other, became boundaries between parishes. Many parishes are long and thin for this reason.
There is much fenland in Lincolnshire, particularly in the Boston and Horncastle areas. Fenlands tended to be extraparochial before the mid 1850s, and although many sections were identified with names and given the title "civil parish", little information has been found about them. Many appear to be abolished in 1906, but the parish which adopts them is not given in A Vision of Britain through Time. Note the WR category Lincolnshire Fenland Settlements which is an attempt to organize them into one list.
From 1889 until 1974 Lincolnshire was divided into three administrative counties: Parts of Holland, Parts of Kesteven and Parts of Lindsey. These formal names do not fit with modern grammatical usage, but that is what they were, nonetheless. In 1974 the northern section of Lindsey, along with the East Riding of Yorkshire, became the short-lived county of Humberside. In 1996 Humberside was abolished and the area previously in Lincolnshire was made into the two "unitary authorities" of North Lincolnshire and North East Lincolnshire. The remainder of Lincolnshire was divided into "non-metropolitan districts" or "district municipalities" in 1974. Towns, villages and parishes are all listed under Lincolnshire, but the present-day districts are also given so that places in this large county can more easily be located and linked to their wider neighbourhoods. See the WR placepage Lincolnshire, England and the smaller divisions for further explanation.