The marker at the gate of the cemetery reads:
- Old Hanover or "Manada" Churchyard (Established in 1736) This site is registered in Pennsylvania's Official Inventory of Historic Places.
There is a waymarker for the Old Hanover Church located at N 40° 22.319 W 076° 39.019 that contains the following text:
- About two miles north is the site of this pioneer Presbyterian church founded in 1736. First pastor was Richard Sankey. In the graveyard are buried many first settlers and veterans of frontier wars and the American Revolution.
More details may be found in the Historical Sketch Of Old Hanover Church:
- The history of Old Hanover Church will prove of great value, especially for its genealogical data, meagre though that may be, and will be highly appreciated not alone by the members of the Society, but by the descendants of the many good and true whose dust lies within the stone-walled enclosure on Bow creek, a tributary of the Swatara, three miles from Manada Gap.
The church cemetery may still exist in the vicinity of Shellsville, Dauphin, Pennsylvania.
A history of the Hanover area is also available on Wikipedia