Place:Novi, Oakland, Michigan, United States

Watchers


NameNovi
TypeCity
Coordinates42.467°N 83.467°W
Located inOakland, Michigan, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Novi is a city in Oakland County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the population was 55,224, an increase over the 2000 census count of 47,386. The city is located approximately northwest of the center of Detroit, and northeast of the center of Ann Arbor. The city is located within the boundaries of the survey township of Novi Township. The remaining unincorporated township is only a tiny fraction surrounded by the city.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Novi was incorporated as a city in 1969 after the approval of a city charter by Village of Novi voters. The approval of the charter followed an election on May 20, 1968 where voters approved the incorporation of the city on a vote of 694 in favor and 283 votes against. The approval of incorporation and the city charter followed several previous attempts at incorporation that were rejected by Novi voters. The city was incorporated along the boundaries of the existing Village of Novi.

The township was named Novi when it was organized in 1832 from Farmington Township. The name was offered by resident Dr. J. C. Emery, at the suggestion of his wife. Residents were reportedly looking for a shorter name than Farmington.

One misconception is that it was named after the 6th toll gate (No. VI) on the Grand River toll road. However, the township was named in 1832 and the toll road was not constructed until the 1850s. A similar claim is made about the township being stop number 6 on the railroad. However, the Holly, Wayne & Monroe Railway (now CSX Transportation) was not constructed through the township until 1870–71, almost 40 years after the township was named. A third popular misconception is that Novi was the sixth stagecoach stop outside of Detroit.

Historic sites

  • Historic Township Hall: The historic Township Hall was originally located on Novi Road, south of Grand River. It was moved to the Novi Library property in the 1980s. It was recently relocated again onto the property that was the site of the Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst Farmstead.
  • Tollgate Farm: 160 acre (650,000 m²) farmstead and educational center.
  • Colonel Samuel White Homestead: Site includes a Michigan Historical Marker.
  • Novi Depot: Portion of the original railroad depot constructed in 1871 for the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railroad (currently CSX Transportation).
  • Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst Farmstead was once a historic site: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The City of Novi demolished the Fuerst Farmstead. The north barn was destroyed on July 16, 2008. The farm house was demolished in August 2008. The south and east barns were dismantled and removed from the site. None of the original buildings from the Farmstead were preserved on the site.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Novi, Michigan. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.