|Name||Norton and Lenchwick|
|Alt names||Norton||source: village in parish|
|Lenchwick||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Norton by Lenchwick||source: GenUKI|
|Chadbury||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Worcestershire, England|
|Also located in||Hereford and Worcester, England (1974 - 1998)|
|Worcestershire, England (1998 - )|
|See also||Blackenhurst Hundred, Worcestershire, England||hundred of which the parish was a part|
|Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1974|
|Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-1998|
|Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England||district municipality covering the area from 1998 onward|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Norton and Lenchwick from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NORTON, a village and a parish in Evesham [registration] district, Worcester[shire]. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Avon, 1½ S S W of the boundary with Warwickshire, and 2¾ N N W of Evesham [railway] station; and is sometimes called Abbots-Norton. The parish contains the tythings of Lenchwick and Chadbury; and its post town is Evesham. Acres: 2,614. Real property: £4,295. Population: 396. Houses: 87. The property is subdivided; but most of it, with a fine hunting-box at Chadbury, belongs to the Duc D' Aumale. Vestiges of an ancient stone bridge, which crossed the Avon, are at Twyford. Part of the battlefield of Evesham is within the parish, and has yielded relics of the battle. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Lenchwick, in the diocese of Worcester. Value: £200.* Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church is late perpendicular, with a tower; was partly rebuilt, partly repaired, in 1844; and contains monuments of the Bigg family, and effigies of knights.
There is no article in Wikipedia.
Norton and Lenchwick was originally an ancient parish in the Blackenhurst Hundred of Worcestershire, England.
It was made a civil parish in 1866 and from 1894 until 1974 it was a parish in the Evesham Rural District. Since 1974 it has been part of the Wychavon District, first in the county of Hereford and Worcester, and then, since 1998, in Worcestershire again.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a large collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. These blow up to a size that permits viewing of individual hamlets, farms, collieries, but there is no overlapping of one map to the next, and no overall map to tie the individual ones together.
- British History Online also has three volumes of the Victoria County History of Worcestershire online. Volume 3 (published in 1913) deals with the Halfshire Hundred; Volume 4 (published in 1924) deals with the City of Worcester, as well as parishes in the hundreds of Pershore and Doddingtree. Volume 2 covers religious houses in the county. The remainder of the county is not represented in the British History Online series.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The FamilySearch Wiki provides a similar information service to GENUKI which may be more up-to-date. An index of parishes leads to notes and references for each parish. The auxiliary website English Jurisdictions can also be helpful.
- Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive, Sawmill Walk, The Butts, Worcester WR1 3PD (Telephone: 01905 822866, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) The Archives Collections Catalog Summary outlines the contents of the Archives Collection and also notes on what has been transferred to the national online service Access to Archives
- The Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry has a branch in Bromsgrove which deals in Worcestershire family history. There are also branches at Stourbridge and Worcester.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- A Vision of Britain through Time has
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- Brett Langston's list of Worcestershire Registration Districts and parishes within each registration district from 1837 to the present can indicate where to find details of civil registration entries since the process began in England.
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Norton and Lenchwick, Worcestershire, England | Blackenhurst Hundred, Worcestershire, England | Evesham Rural, Worcestershire, England | Wychavon District, Hereford and Worcester, England | Wychavon District, Worcestershire, England