Newry is a city (and a townland) in Northern Ireland. The River Clanrye, which runs through the city, forms the historic border between County Armagh and County Down. It is from Belfast and from Dublin. Newry (together with Bessbrook) had a population of 27,433 at the 2001 Census, while Newry and Mourne Council Area had a population of 87,058. Its believed that Newry was founded in 1144 alongside a Cistercian monastery, however there are many ancient references referring to earlier settlements in the abbey area,where it is believed the first religious foundation was that of St Patrick. There is no doubt that it is one of Ireland's oldest towns.
The city of Newry is one of the constituent cities of the Dublin-Belfast corridor and sits at the entry to the "Gap of the North", close to the border with the Republic of Ireland. It grew as a market town and a garrison and became a port in 1742 when it was linked to Lough Neagh by the first summit-level canal in Britain or Ireland. In March 2002, as part of Queen Elizabeth's Golden Jubilee celebrations, Newry was granted city status alongside Lisburn. Despite being the fourth largest city in Northern Ireland it is not the fourth largest settlement. Newry has long been an important centre of trade because of its position between Belfast and Dublin.