Newport is a suburb of the town of Launceston in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. Originally a separate settlement, Newport is immediately north of the town from which it is separated by the River Kensey.
Until the early nineteenth century, the Newport constituency elected two Members to the Unreformed House of Commons. However, the constituency was abolished as a rotten borough by the Reform Act 1832. A tucking mill was established in the 15th century by the Flemings at Newport. This was water-powered and continued in use for corn until 1968.
A Vision of Britain through Time does not describe Newport as anything but a borough. It appears to have been considered part of Launceston since the Poor Law Union and Registration District were established in 1835.
The ecclesiastical and civil parish of St. Stephen's, later known as St. Stephen's by Launceston, is located in much the same area.
For further information of a genealogical nature, see the parish of Launceston.