- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There are three Newbiggins in Northumberland, one in County Durham, three in Westmorland and one in the North Riding of Yorkshire. All have been renamed to indicate their location.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Newbiggin by the Sea is a small town in Northumberland, England, lying on the North Sea coast. Once an important port for shipping grain and a coal mining town, it is still a small fishing port making use of traditional coble boats. The population of Newbiggin by the Sea was 6,308 according to the UK census of 2011.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Newbiggin-by-the-Sea.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Newbiggin from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NEWBIGGIN, a village and a township-chapelry in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, near North Seaton [railway] station, 1½ mile N of the mouth of the Wansbeck river, and 7¼ E by N of Morpeth; is a fishing-station and a watering place; is sometimes called Newbiggin-by-the-Sea; and has a post-office of that name, under Morpeth, a good inn, a coast-guard station, a life-boat station, and a roadstead with tolerably secure anchorage for small vessels.
- "The chapelry comprises 400 acres. Real property: £1,586. Population in 1851: 717; in 1861: 948. Houses: 184. The increase of population arose from extension of fisheries and from increased accommodation for summer visitors. A beautiful small bay adjoins the village, and has firm, smooth, safe sands. Several collieries are in the neighbourhood. The living is a [perpetual] curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Woodhorn, in the diocese of Durham. The church was rebuilt in 1846; has a low spire; contained the effigies of a knight, discovered in 1867; stands picturesquely on a point projecting into the sea on the N side of the bay; and serves as a landmark to mariners. There are chapels for Presbyterians and Wesleyans, a parochial school, and a subscription library and reading-rooms."
Newbiggin by the Sea was a township and chapelry in the ancient parish of Woodhorn. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1974 it was an urban district. In 1974 urban and rural districts were abolished and Newbiggin became part of the Wansbeck District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.