The village was founded in 1789 by the construction of a log cabin by the Sanger family, who later constructed mills nearby. The village was a commercial success, until the opening of the Erie Canal gave Utica a big advantage.
The village of New Hartford was incorporated in 1869.
The village Fire Department was started in 1901. The NHFD provides fire protection and advanced life support emergency medical service to the village and portions of the town of New Hartford. These communities are served by an active corps of 98 volunteer firefighters. Based on dispatch records OC911 2013 Dispatches it is the busiest volunteer fire department in Oneida County. nhfd.com
There are a few houses along Oxford Road that were used to hide slaves on the Underground Railroad.