Place:New Boston, Bowie, Texas, United States

Watchers


NameNew Boston
TypeCity
Coordinates33.461°N 94.417°W
Located inBowie, Texas, United States
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

New Boston is a city in Bowie County, Texas, United States. It was named after an early store keeper, W.J. Boston. It is part of the Texarkana, Texas - Texarkana, Arkansas Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 4,550 at the 2010 census.

History

the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

The Red River Expedition (1806) was stopped by the Spanish in the vicinity of the town.

New Boston is on U.S. Highway 82 and Interstate 30, 21 miles west of Texarkana in the central part of Bowie County. When the Missouri-Pacific railroad was being constructed four miles north of Boston in the summer of 1876, it was clear to many businessmen in Boston (now Old Boston) that their town would suffer a serious decline as a consequence of its distance from the line. At a mass meeting J. H. Smelser, a local resident and surveyor for the railroad, was selected to meet with railroad officials to secure the location of a depot at a 4154point on the line nearest to Boston. The negotiations were successful, and in September 1876 lots were laid out and put up for sale on that the railroad had purchased. Because most of those engaged in the project were from Boston, the new town was named New Boston. A post office was established in 1877 with L. C. DeMorse as postmaster. The town grew rapidly and by 1884 it had 400 residents, two churches, a school, several mills and gins, and a newspaper, the New Boston Herald, edited by W. W. West. A furniture factory and another newspaper, the Bowie County Populist, were added in the 1890s.

By 1900 the town had a population of 762. It grew slowly until the late 1920s, when a short-lived boom raised the population from 869 in 1925 to 1,300 in 1929. The population fell to 949 by 1931. During World War II the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant and the Red River Army Depot were constructed just southeast of New Boston. The two massive military installations were probably responsible for the town's rapid growth in the 1940s. The population grew from 1,111 in 1940, then to 2,688 in 1950. In 1980 it reached 4,628. Although an International Paper mill, the Barry Telford state prison and a few smaller factories provided some industrial base for the town, New Boston depends heavily on the two military installations for its continued prosperity. The town had 5,057 residents in 1990.

New Boston Texas is well known for the Pioneer Days Festival and Rodeo. The town-folk gather at the T&P Trailhead Park for entertainment such as carnival rides, street dances, live musical and comedy presentations.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at New Boston, Texas. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.