Place:Nettlestead, Kent, England

Watchers
NameNettlestead
Alt namesNedestedesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 148
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates51.25°N 0.417°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoMaidstone Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Maidstone (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality which has covered the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Nettlestead is a village and civil parish on the road south-west of the town of Place:Maidstone, Kent, England|Maidstone]], and part of the borough of Maidstone. More than 800 people live in the parish. The parish church of St Mary the Virgin has links with William the Conqueror's half brother, Odo.

According to the website Historic Kent, 'it is said that Nettlestead church owes its enormous stained glass windows to a 15th-century Agincourt veteran who came back from France very impressed with what had already been done with stained glass decoration for churches there'.

The man was Reginald de Pympe, and his son, John, added more stained glass later in the same century. The de Pympes made quite an impression upon Nettlestead in their day. Reginald moved into Nettlestead Place, which he rebuilt at about the same time as he had the church rebuilt and embellished with the new glass.

Nettlestead Green is a separate village lying two miles further south. Both villages are close to the River Medway.

Nettlestead was a civil parish in Maidstone Rural District from 1894 until 1974, and since 1974 has been part of the Maidstone non-metropolitan district.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Nettlestead, Kent. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.