The County of Nairn or Nairnshire was a traditional county of Scotland, with the burgh of Nairn as the county town, until 1975, when, under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the county area became one of the eight districts of the two-tier Highland region. The original county of Nairn survived for registration purposes and, at the same time, the Nairn lieutenancy was defined as having the boundaries of the new district. In 1996, under the Local Government etc (Scotland) Act 1994, the local government district was merged into the unitary Highland council area.
The map shows Nairnshire with its detached sections that existed until 1891.
Wikisource provides the Encyclopedia Britannica 1911 edition article on Nairnshire.