The Town of Nairn
Nairn (Gaelic: Inbhir Narann) is a town and former burgh now located in the Highland Council Area of Scotland. It is an ancient fishing port and market town around 16 miles (26 km) east of Inverness. It was the county town of the wider county of Nairn (also known as Nairnshire).
King James VI of Scotland visited the town in 1589 and is said to have later remarked that the High Street was so long that the people at either end spoke different languages Scots and Gaelic. The landward farmers generally spoke Scots and the fishing families at the harbour end, Gaelic. Nairn, formerly split into Scottish Gaelic- and Scots-speaking communities, was a town of two halves in other ways. The narrow-streeted fishertown surrounds a harbour built by Thomas Telford while Victorian villas stand in the 'West End'. It is believed that the Duke of Cumberland stayed in Nairn the night before the battle of Culloden.
It was not until the 1860s that Nairn became a respectable and popular holiday town. Dr. John Grigor (a statue of whom is located at Viewfield) was gifted a house in this coastal town and spent his retirement there. He valued its warm climate and advised his wealthy clients to holiday there. Following the opening of the Nairn railway station in 1855, new houses and hotels were built in the elegant West End. The station is on the Aberdeen to Inverness Line. Originally this was the last stop on the line from London due to the inhospitable terrain on what is now the main Dava branch line to Inverness.
Nairn has an expanse of sand beaches that were used extensively in training exercises for the Normandy landings during World war 2. Notably during this period Two German spies who had been dropped by U-boat in the Moray Firth were arrested at Nairn Railway Station attempting to board a train to Inverness.
The Parish of Nairn
The parish has an area of 37.1 sq. km (14.3 sq. miles) and includes, as well as the town of Nairn, the suburb of Tradespark to the west of Nairn and the hamlet of Raitcastle to the south.