|Alt names||Naborne||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 308|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||East Riding of Yorkshire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Yorkshire, England |
|North Yorkshire, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Escrick Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Derwent Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1935-1974|
|Selby District, North Yorkshire, England||administrative district of which it was a part 1974-1996|
|York, Yorkshire, England||unitary authority in which it has been located since 1996|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Naburn is a small village and civil parish in the unitary authority of the City of York in North Yorkshire, England. It lies on the eastern side of the River Ouse about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of York. According to the 2001 census the parish had a population of 470.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Deighton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "NABURN, a village in Escrick parish, and a township-chapelry partly also in Acaster-Malbis parish, [East Riding] Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, at the boundary of [the West Riding of] Yorkshire, 4 miles N E by E of Copmanthorpe [railway] station, and 4 S of York; and has a ferry on the Ouse, and a post-office under York. The chapelry comprises 2,466 acres. Real property: £4,648; of which £30 are in fisheries. Population: 471; Houses: 92; Population of the Escrick portion: 382; Houses: 76."
From 1894 until 1935, Naburn was located in Escrick Rural District. In 1935 the Escrick Rural District was abolished and its place was taken by Derwent Rural District which administered the local area until the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974. From 1974 until 1996, Naburn was in the Selby District of North Yorkshire. In 1996 the City of York, a unitary authority, expanded its borders to include Naburn.
Historically, Naburn was partly in Acaster Malbis parish and partly in the ecclesiastical parish of York St. George. Both were in the wapentake of Ouse and Derwent.
- GENUKI on Naburn. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Acaster Malbis provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- British History Online has an article from the Victoria County Histories on Naburn
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Naburn.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
Help fund new features!