Place:Milton (Canterbury), Kent, England

Watchers
NameMilton (Canterbury)
TypeHamlet, Civil parish
Located inKent, England
See alsoBridge Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1934
Thanington Without, Kent, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1934
Canterbury (district), Kent, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Milton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"MILTON, or MILTON-CHAPEL, a parish in Bridge [registration] district, Kent; on the river Stour, adjacent to the Ramsgate and Hastings railway, 1 mile NE of Chartham [railway] station, and 2½ SW of Canterbury. Post town, Canterbury. Acres: 399. Population: 11. House: 1. All the property, except 6 acres, belongs to M. Bell, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £70.Patron: M. Bell, Esq."

Milton was a civil parish in Bridge Rural District until 1934 when it was absorbed into the parish of Thanington Without. This area has been since 1974 part of the City of Canterbury District of Kent.

Research Tips

Fundraiser
Help fund new features!