The house, Middridge Grange, is a Grade II listed building situated just outside the village itself, between Shildon and School Aycliffe. It is one of the oldest buildings in the region, beginning life as a large Elizabethan manor in 1578. The Byerley Turk, the great stallion owned by Captain (later Colonel) Robert Byerley (1660–1714), was arguably Middridge's most famous resident. The Byerley Turk was one of the three founding stallions of today's thoroughbred horses and was stood at Middridge Grange, until being moved to Goldsborough Hall, near Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, when his owner married his cousin, Mary Wharton, in 1692.
Middridge Grange was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was abolished and split between the civil parishes of Shildon and Heighington with Heighington taking more than three quarters of the acreage. Between 1974 and 2009 Shildon became part of the larger Sedgefield non-metropolitan district and Heighington became part of the Darlington District. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority. (Source: A Vision of Britain through Time)