Michigan City is a city in LaPorte County, Indiana, United States. It is one of the two principal cities of the Michigan City-La Porte, Indiana Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City Combined Statistical Area.
Michigan City is noted for both its proximity to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and for bordering Lake Michigan. Due to this, Michigan City receives a fair amount of tourism during the summer months, especially by residents of Chicago and of nearby cities in Northern Indiana. The lighthouse is a notable symbol for the city and is incorporated in the heading of Michigan City's sole newspaper The News Dispatch, as well as the official city logo.
Michigan City's origins date to 1830, when the land for the city was first purchased by Isaac C. Elston, a real estate speculator who had made a small fortune in Crawfordsville. He paid about $200 total for 160 acres (¼ square mile) of land. Elston Middle School, formerly Elston High School, is named after the founder.
The city was incorporated in 1836, by which point it had 1500 residents, along with a post office, a newspaper, a church, a commercial district and 10 hotels. In these six year the town has grown to a size of 15 square miles. That same year, the State Bank of Indiana opened a branch in town.