Metheringham is a village and civil parish in the North Kesteven district of Lincolnshire, England. It is situated approximately south from the city and county town of Lincoln and north from Sleaford.
The village is a documented settlement in the Domesday Book of 1086. The village is thought to date from Saxon times and be associated with the name "Medrich". The addition of the plural ending "-es" together with the familiar "-ham" ending is thought to have produced "Medrichesham" (the homestead of Medrich), which in time became corrupted to the modern name of the village. The earliest surviving document relating specifically to the village is dated 24 June 1314, from reign of Edward II. A great fire in July 1599 left only a few houses standing. It started in a gully that ran the length of the village street.
White's 1842 Directory of Lincolnshire called Metheringham "a large improving village, on a gentle declivity, between Lincoln Heath and the Cardyke navigation, 9 miles S.E. of Lincoln. Its parish increased its population from 536 in 1801, to 880 in 1831, to 1197 in 1841,and contains 5682A[cres], 1R[ood], 32P[erches] of land." It also notes, "An ancient Cross, which stood in the village was replaced by a new one in 1835, at the cost of about £25, and a market is now held round it on Saturday evenings. The drainage of the parish is aided by a steam engine of 25-horse power, and has dried an ancient spring called Holywell." It describes the church (see below) and adds, "Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1840. A School was established by subscription in 1841, and there is a flourishing Sick Club, and also a Cow Club. The poor parishioners have 3R.37P. of land left by one Colley; and an annuity of £3, left by John Ellis in 1829."
The village war memorial records the names of 42 men who died for their country in the First World War and 8 who fell in the Second World War.