Early Settlers of Meat Camp
James Jackson and many of his associates are mentioned in the book "A History of Watauga County, North Carolina" by John Preston Arthur, first published in 1915, republished in 2002 and available at ancestry.com: http://content.ancestry.com/browse/bookview.aspx?dbid=30007&iid=dvm_LocHist013627-00139-1
"Although Watauga County, North Carolina, was not established until 1849 from the existing counties of Ashe, Wilkes, Caldwell, and Yancey in northwestern North Carolina, "all of Watauga County on the waters of Watauga River was once a part...of the famous and immortal Old Watauga Settlement of Sevier . . . ." In his History of Watauga County, North Carolina, John Preston Arthur provides an invaluable study of the origins and early settlers of this area rich in genealogical history.
Chapter XIII, pg 207: "Jonathan Buck . . . Richard Green . . . All these people had been members of the Jersey Settlement, as had also been James Tompkins and James Jackson, and afterwards became members of Three Forks Church. The grant of 640 acres of land at this place to William Miller bears date May 1787, and it was doubtless entered some time before. Tompkins' name still adheres to one of the knobs near Deep Gap, and the Jackson Meeting House on Meat Camp Creek will keep his memory alive for years yet to come, for it was the first school house built in this section." http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=30007&pageno=207
Chapter XIV, Pg 231: "Meat Camp.---This was one of the first places to be settled in Ashe County, William Miller, the Blackburns and James Jackson going there from the Jersey Settlement as early as 1799, while Ebenezer Fairchild, of the same colony, settled on Howard's Creek, only a short distance away. Jackson's grave is still pointed out in the woods near the site of the old Jackson Meeting House, while the cabin of an old hunter named Abbey stood in what is now the garden of John C. Moretz." http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=30007&pageno=231
Pg 322a: "There is also a tradition that the Greens were members of the Jersey Settlement, and that James Jackson, William Miller, the three Bucks, Tompkins and Horton himself were members of the Jersey Settlement. They were all members of the Three Forks Church between 1790 and 1800 . . ." http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/BookView.aspx?dbid=30007&pageno=322a
Chapter IX, pg 106, 107: "Methodism began in this county about 1809 when an itinerant minister, whose name is forgotten . . . This unnamed pioneer in Methodism is said to have stopped first at the home of Gwyn Houck on Old Fields Creek, next at Risden Cooper's on Cranberry, then at James Jackson's on the ridge between Grassy Creek and Meat Camp . . . James Jackson was so much interested in the necessity for some edifice in which all the people might come and worship, go to school or discuss public affairs, that he conveyed to Edmund Blackburn, a brother of Levi, David Miller and Ephraim and William Norris, as trustees, a tract of land for a school house, meeting house or church, as was desired by those using it, to be open at all times to all alike. It was at this house that the first Methodist preacher first preached, but his name has been forgotten. Levi Blackburn lived near Jackson Meeting House at that time . . ."