- source: Family History Library Catalog
Markshall was a small civil parish in the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974. Since 1974 it has been located in the Braintree District in Essex.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Markshall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "MARKSHALL, a parish in Witham [registration] district, Essex; 2 miles N by W of Coggeshall, and 3 S by W of Colne [railway] station. Post town, Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acres: 804. Real property: £1,161. Population: 42. Houses: 7. The property is divided among a few. The manor was held at the Conquest by Nigel, under the Montforts; passed to the Honeywoods; and, with M. Hall, belongs now to Mrs. Honeywood. The Hall is a large edifice in the Tudor style; and has a portrait of Mrs. Mary Honeywood, who died in 1620 at the age of 93, and who saw of her own offspring 16 children, 114 grandchildren, 228 great-grandchildren, and 9 great-great-grandchildren. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £176. Patrons: the Trustees of the late W. Honeywood, Esq. The church adjoins the Hall, and contains a fine altar-piece.