Marawi, officially the Islamic City of Marawi and often referred to as Marawi City, is the capital city of the province of Lanao del Sur on the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. The people of Marawi are called the Maranaos and speak the Maranao language. They are named after Lake Lanao, which is called Meranau in the language, upon whose shores Marawi City lies. The city is also called the Summer Capital of the South because of its higher elevation and cooler climate.
Marawi was known as Dansalan when it served as the capital of the undivided Lanao province from 1907 to 1940. Dansalan in Meranaw is a place where ships berth - a port of entry.
According to the late well-known Meranaw scholar Dr. Mamitua Saber, Marawi City got its charter in 1940. The granting of a charter to the old Dansalan municipality was jointly conceived by the Philippine Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon and Assemblyman, later Senator, Tomas L. Cabili. The changing of the official name from Dansalan to Marawi was through Congressional amendment of the Charter in 1956 sponsored by Sen. Domocao Alonto. This is embodied by Republic Act No. 1552 dated June 16, 1956.
The renaming of the city as "Islamic City of Marawi" was proposed by Parliamentary Bill No. 261 in the defunct Batasang Pambansa, the former parliament of the Philippines during the Marcos regime, reportedly to attract funds from the Middle East.