The hamlet was one of the many communities that spawned due to the construction of the railroad in Western Canada during the early 1900s. In 1928, the hamlet was officially founded. The name was inspired by one of the Scottish workers. The many swamps and low lying areas in the area reminded him of his home town (Mallaig, Scotland).
As the 20th century progressed, the railway has been removed, and has been replaced by the Iron Horse Trail, which is a long, recreational trail intended for all-terrain vehicles. The hamlet today is quite small, containing minimal services, a landfill, and a school (kindergarten to grade 12) with an enrollment of 246 students from the hamlet and surrounding area.