Mahwah is a township in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the township's population was 25,890. The population increased by 1,828 (+7.6%) from the 24,062 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 6,157 (+34.4%) from the 17,905 counted in the 1990 Census. The name "Mahwah" is derived from the Lenape word "mawewi" which means "Meeting Place" or "Place Where Paths Meet".
The area that is now Mahwah was originally formed as Hohokus Township on April 9, 1849, from portions of Franklin Township. While known as Hohokus Township, territory was taken to form Orvil Township (on January 1, 1886; remainder of township is now Waldwick), Allendale (November 10, 1894), Upper Saddle River (November 22, 1894) and Ramsey (March 10, 1908). On November 7, 1944, the area was incorporated by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature as the Township of Mahwah, based on the results of a referendum held that day, replacing Hohokus Township.
New Jersey Monthly magazine ranked Mahwah as its 9th best place to live in its 2008 rankings of the "Best Places To Live" in New Jersey.