Place:Lynesack and Softley, Durham, England

NameLynesack and Softley
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates54.007°N 1.851°W
Located inDurham, England
See alsoAuckland St. Andrew, Durham, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Darlington Ward, Durham, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Auckland Rural, Durham, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1937
Barnard Castle Rural, Durham, Englandrural district to which it was transferred in 1937
Teesdale District, Durham, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Lynesack and Softley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"LYNESACK AND SOFTLY, a township-chapelry in Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham; on headstreams of the river Gaunless, 3 miles W by N of Cockfield [railway] station, and 7 NNE of Barnard-Castle. Post town, Bishop-Auckland, under Darlington. Acres: 5,946. Real property: £3,215; of which £1,095 are in mines. Population in 1851: 787; in 1861: 1,120. Houses: 223. The property is much subdivided. Part of the land is a barren hilly tract, called South Side. Many of the inhabitants are employed in coal mines. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £300. Patron: the Bishop of Durham. The church is modern.

Lynesack and Softley was originally a township in the ancient parish of Auckland St. Andrew in County Durham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 it was part of Auckland Rural District. In 1937 it was transferred to the Barnard Castle Rural District. Between 1974 and 2009 it became part of the larger Teesdale non-metropolitan district. Since 2009 County Durham has been a unitary authority.

There is no mention of Lynesack and Softley being absorbed by any other parishes. It is a large area to the southwest of Bishop Auckland beyond Evenwood and Barony. Its coordinates were obtained from Google Earth.

Research Tips