Place:Hampreston, Dorset, England

Watchers
NameHampreston
Alt namesHamasource: Domesday Book (1985) p 94
Hamesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 94
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates50.783°N 1.917°W
Located inDorset, England     ( - 1972)
Also located inHampshire, England     (1860 - )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Before 1972 Hampreston was a civil parish immediately north of Poole in Dorset, England. The parish included the communities of Ferndown (a fair-sized town), Hampreston, Longham, Stapehill and Trickett's Cross. Since 1972 the civil parish has been renamed Ferndown and is located in the District of East Dorset.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of the parish of Hampreston from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"HAMPRESTON, a parish in the district of Wimborne, and counties of Dorset and Hants; on the river Stour, near the Southampton and Dorchester railway, 3¼ miles ESE of Wimborne Minster. It includes the hamlet of Longham, which has a post office under Wimborne. Acres: 4,948. Real property: £,260. Population [of the Hampshire portion?]: 341. Houses: 295. Population of the Dorset portion: 1,115. Houses: 246. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Ainlfus, the Conqueror's chamberlain. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value: £282. Patrons, the Rev. H. T. Glyn and others. The church is early and later English; and was enlarged in the early part of the present century. There are two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic convent, two national schools, and charities £50."

The A Vision of Britain through Time database states that Hampreston was wholly in Dorset after 1860.

Research Tips