The civil parish is formed by the villages of Lockington and Aike and the hamlet of Thorpe. According to the 2011 UK census the population of Lockington parish was 524, a decrease on the 2001 UK census figure of 542. There were 247 separate households.
The parish church of St Mary is a Grade I listed building.
The A164 road and the Yorkshire Coast railway line from Hull to Scarborough both pass through the parish. Until 13 June 1960 Lockington railway station operated on the line. The level crossing adjacent to the station was the scene of a fatal accident on 26 July 1986.
In 1823 Lockington was in the civil parish of Lockington and of Kilnwick, in the Wapentake of Harthill. A National School existed in the village. Population was 491, with occupations including thirteen farmers, two carpenters, two shoemakers, a blacksmith, a tailor, a bricklayer, a corn miller, and the landlord of The Buck public house. Residents included the parish clerk, a schoolmaster, and a gentleman. A carrier operated between the village and Hull and Beverley once a week.
Lockington was in the Beverley Registration District (1837-1930) and the Beverley Rural District Council from 1894 until its abolition in 1974. It was an ecclesiastical parish in the Harthill Wapentake. The village of Aike (which, ecclesiastically, is part of the parish of Beverley St. John), was formerly an independent civil parish, and merged with Lockington in 1935.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.