The text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
The two original counties of Lennox and Addington were originally separate counties within the Midland District of Upper Canada (or Canada West after 1841). When the district system of administration was abolished in 1849 the two counties were made into the United Counties of Lennox and Addington. But whereas most county unions established in 1849-50 split into separate county administrations, Lennox and Addington became a full amalgamation into a single government in 1860. It is formally known as Lennox and Addington County. The county seat is at Napanee.
The counties took their names from had Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth.
Around the middle of the 19th century, the Addington Road was built by the province to encourage settlement in the northern sections of the county.
The original townships of Addington, starting at the north, were:
and those of Lennox, working basically east to west, were:
This map, from the Archives of Ontario, is dated between 1945 and 1951.
Following municipal reorganization in 1998, Lennox and Addington includes the following municipalities:
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1915 are now available [October 2014]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada, known to Canadians as "LAC". Copies of original microfilms are online at the LAC website for all censuses up to 1911. Each census database is preceded with an explanation of the geographical area covered, the amount of material retained (some census division material has been lost), the questions on the census form, and whether there is a name index. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited. The 1921 census is only available through Ancestry.ca, but it is free-to-view.
E-books and Books
The website of the County of Lennox & Addington Museum and Archives lists useful websites for genealogical research. Their own "Local Resources" come last. They include